Psychotoons

To help adults and children understand psychology.

Forums

Forum Home > A-Z Psychology > animals

A Joyful Messenger

What affect do you think animals have on the brain?

I know for me, my animals bring a sense of companionship. I am never alone.

I think they bring out the best in us-love and sometimes the worst.-anger. But we

put up with their wild side and give them our affections.

--

**JOYFUL MESSENGER

October 31, 2013 at 4:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

A Joyful Messenger

I read a quote the other day that said "Be like a dog, if you can't eat it, pee on it and walk away"

If only life were that easy!

--

**JOYFUL MESSENGER

October 31, 2013 at 4:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

A Joyful Messenger

MY dogs are driving me crazy!They have gotten into my trash, ate my lunch and made toilet paper confetti all in three days--How am I supposed to react?

--

**JOYFUL MESSENGER

November 3, 2013 at 1:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruth Currah
Site Owner

Animals stimulate love and other human emotions. But they do not think like us. So we have to create an environment that they will react the way we need them to so we can be happy with them in our living spaces. The burden lands on you to out think them and create the environment conducive to them and us. The only realistic way to interact with them is blame ourselves for failures, not them. It is the same when we interact with children, we are to blame ourselves for programing them to be unloving and obedient. Yes, they have a role in it, their genetics and past experience. But we the adults should be able to out think them and manipulate the environment and them to the best results for both. We can say the same of our interactions with other adults. We play a bigger role then we want to admit. It is easier to blame them and forget our role, our ignorance that may have been self inflicted. How should you react to your dogs? Intelligently, train yourself to do what is beyond what you can teach your dogs. Or, you can't live with them happily.

November 4, 2013 at 3:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

A Joyful Messenger

But what if you are a tad memory disabled and the dog can out gunn you? What do you do then? how do I remember my keys, my coffee, the trash, my lunch, my backpack, my neck card and to remember to have everything up and out of the reach of the dogs...? Any Advice would help/

--

**JOYFUL MESSENGER

November 5, 2013 at 5:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruth Currah
Site Owner

A list of what needs to be done before you go out the door. Post it on the door so you see it before you leave. Make it as big and obvious as you need it to be. I use to have lists in my pocket that I looked at several times a day until it be came easier for me.

You can make up stories that can help. Or create a ditty, sing song that tells you what to do to your favorite music. Start at one end of the house to the other. Off my head: Garbage up, food in, TP in the can so I can, la la la.

A story could be the big bad wolf went to my house. He tripped on the garbage and the food fell out of the cupboard on to his face as TP fell into his mouth, he shredded it before eating my lunch.

November 7, 2013 at 8:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

A Joyful Messenger

Hmmm. Maybe I will try a list.  I need to do something different because they are driving me crazy!  Why do some people turn to animals for love instead of people. It seems weird to me. I have pets but I am not obsessed with them. What is it about people that they become obsessed with their animals? Some people go over the top.

--

**JOYFUL MESSENGER

November 8, 2013 at 6:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruth Currah
Site Owner

Animals do not argue, are not as obviously judgmental, and we have fewer run ins with them. So people tend to love them for the same reason they love children, they appear to be innocent. And few people love all animals. Not too many have collections of the naked mole rat. The animal usually has to be pleasing to the eye, cuddly, and show love. Different people look for different things in animals, probably depending on their personality or needs. Macho guys may like large snakes or predatory animals as they stimulate their hunter instincts or imaginations.

But some people seem to only like animals, or like them more then people. It can be genetics, seems to run in families. Part can be learned. But some people just are not very sociable and so turn to animals for companionship. Others despise or do not trust people. Some grow up closer to their pets then their busy parents. There must be a million reasons. Kids grow up and leave behind aging parents who replace their kids with pets. It all boils down to pets giving us good feelings.

The hard part is most pets have a shorter life span. But then again, it is easier to replace them then to replace friends or relatives that leave. Pets are cheaper, more easily controlled, and we can give them away if they become a burden. Animals even make pets of other species.

People can become obsessed with anything. When they center their whole life around something the brain is soon programmed to ignore other things. Some people are obsessive no matter what they do. There could be many reasons why people get obsessed with their pets. Others get so isolated from the world that the only warn live lifeforms they know is their pets. It is like the guys put in the whole in prison, they are so bored and isolated that they relish the moment an insect enters their space.

November 8, 2013 at 1:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.