Psychotoons

To help adults and children understand psychology.

Forums

Forum Home > A-Z Psychology > Kids

A Joyful Messenger

Sometimes kids are just a joy to hang around with! They have wild emotions and tons of energy. What could we as adults accomplish with that kind of energy?    Children believe just for the magic of believing. Why do we as adults stop believing and lose hope? Is it because we are too proud to be humble?

--

**JOYFUL MESSENGER

June 27, 2013 at 1:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruth Currah
Site Owner

Kids are free of worry. They do not see the past and do not worry about the future. Abused children find it harder to always be as cheery but in general they are not as contemplative as adults. They tend to be as depressed as we are, but they do not show it. As adults we think more and connect the dots better. Children are defensive if you step on their toes, they cry and disobey. They may be what we call shy, or right down afraid. But adults tend to be less defensive around children and so children are free to be fun loving. We are not as open with other adults because we know they understand us more and expect more. We are really free around our pets, especially our dogs, they wag their tails no matter what we say or have done. But we can not be as free as they are, after all we have to take care and feed them. In general, they do not have to worry about feeding us.

June 27, 2013 at 10:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

realsisters2@gmail.com

Most kids are pretty good. There are a few exceptions. I would check out their world. They learn attitudes and behaviors from their parents, or you might say they catch it from their parents. You can sometimes blame the parents. The rest of the bad behavior, well, I have no idea where it comes from, I think we are born with it. Sometimes teachers put labels on them when it is really only learning disabilities, like social inadequacies. Then the kid is doomed before he is out of first grade. I like the old philosophy, kids should be seen and not heard, like in the past. Then they observed and learned more.

--

July 2, 2013 at 11:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruth Currah
Site Owner

Well, I seem to agree that children learn attitudes and behaviors from their parents. I also agree that they are born with the tendency towards some 'bad behaviors' . Children are born with an Upper Loving Nature and a Lower Survival Nature. And so if parents do not try and socialize children, if they neglect correcting them for fear of repressing their natural personalities, children often slip into their survival mode, as they are born into an unfamiliar environment and so are fearful and unsure. I guess you could call them feral. When parents let them run wild the children will get a lot of bad reactions from peers, teachers, and strangers.  Children simply do not know how to react to complex situations if they are not taught how to react in a way that will work for them and others.

I agree that children need to be more observant of others, to learn from them, and be still enough to listen to adults and their conversations. If they are they will be more intelligent and sooner. But I do not agree that they should be seen and not heard. To help children respond intelligently to adults and others they also need to be heard but also socialized to talk in a way that works.

When children are spoilt they again do not learn correct behaviors. They also can feel really helpless as no matter what they do their parents agree but no body else does and they do not know what to do. Good parenting takes a lot of time and work. We have to watch our kids continually and help them understand the world and how it works and how to work it.

July 3, 2013 at 1:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

A Joyful Messenger

You didn't answer my question. The question was: why do adults stop believing and lose hope?

--

**JOYFUL MESSENGER

July 15, 2013 at 10:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruth Currah
Site Owner

Children show their energy in physical activity because they are not yet in-depth thinkers. Adults have the ability to have the same energy in their minds. We call such energy happiness and joy.

Adults stop believing in themselves and their futures because their thinking gets clogged with negative emotions, mostly from childhood. As children our actions are chastised by the adults of the time and we quit being creative, quit being happy and joyful. We begin to think in dooms day ways. We do not even want others to talk of hope, or of a limitless God or another way of thinking that could restore us back to our childhood energy and play. I would not call it pride that stops us from having happiness so much but more like negative thinking, loss of hope. We are also defensive to others because others were so negative to us as children.

July 16, 2013 at 6:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

A Joyful Messenger

I agree with you. Now let me ask you this...How do we restore that creativity, and get back that feeling of energy and play as adults?

--

**JOYFUL MESSENGER

July 18, 2013 at 9:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruth Currah
Site Owner

You have to make the CHOICE to practice positive thinking rather then negative thinking. People often are waiting for the wonderful thoughts and feelings to come on their own. They do not want to do anything helpful without such thoughts and feelings. They are putting the carriage in front of the horse. The energy and force is the thoughts and the resulting feelings from the thoughts NOT the thoughts following the good feelings. You have more control over your thoughts then your feelings, you use thought and actions to gain the feelings. We must begin to play and let the thoughts and feelings follow us.

Now there is a danger of a couple in fighting mode. If they play together too fast their play will turn to anger and a huge fight. So if they are going to play together to feel better they need to take it one laugh at a time, wait for the emotions to catch up with the actions and new thoughts. Feelings can be very powerful and uncontrollable if jumped into without preparation.

July 18, 2013 at 6:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.