Psychotoons

To help adults and children understand psychology.

Forums

Forum Home > A-Z Psychology > Nature

A Joyful Messenger

Most of us live in a big city or a small one...Almost all have a Walmart...Mc Donalds, Starbucks, Home depot etc.

We get so used to the city that we forget about nature. We don't stop to look at the beautiful flowers, listen to the birds chripping or crickets at night. We drive on asphalt and walk on concrete. We wear shoes and never take the time to walk barefoot in the grass.

I was walking my dogs the other day and watched them roll around in the grass so I dropped to my knees and laid down on the grass looking up at the sky. The tempature was cooler and time slowed down.  I think we need to pay more attention to the nature around us. Maybe then we will feel more connected to the world. The American Indians have gotten something right. Maybe we all need to go on a quest to find ourselves. To find peace with God and ourselves...

--

**JOYFUL MESSENGER

May 15, 2013 at 6:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruth Currah
Site Owner

The movement of air, water, wind has the same rhythm as the healthy brain waves that heal us and give us peace and a sense of well being. And yes, the perception of time slows down as we become less anxious and more aware of the moment. The Native Americans were aware of natures power as they lived directly in it. Hunters and Fishermen also get addicted to the experience. 

May 16, 2013 at 7:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

A Joyful Messenger

I can see why fishermen and hunters get addicted to the experience! When they get back to asphalt and concrete their brains want to go back! We, as a society are so far removed from nature and our food supply, We don't know how to survive in nature. We don't know how to grow our own food. We have become dependent on big corporations and grocery stores to supply it for us and they in turn can add whatever additive they choose. And we eat it never questioning who, what and why. Something is haywire in this world.Mothers used to supply the milk for newborn babes now it is man made laced with who knows what. 

Can you imagine what paradise/the garden of Eden was like?  

--

**JOYFUL MESSENGER

May 17, 2013 at 1:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruth Currah
Site Owner

Someone said, if your neighbor was poisoning your food you would do something about it. But we are doing nothing about industry poisoning the food. You can go organic, the more people who do the more the industry will follow and go organic. (Organic is the way our Grandparents ate, natural unadulterated food) Industry will follow the money. But if people pay them money to be poisoned, well, they feel it is appreciated.

Went to a workshop. Children fed by bottle instead of mother's milk have lots more intestinal and other health problems their whole lives. Mother's milk gives them the proper combination of intestinal bugs that fight inflammation, and inflammation is what causes many common diseases. Also natural birth babies are healthier for the same reason. There are billions of bugs and the right combination assures us of much better health. Slender people have a different set of bugs, and when they are implanted into a fat person the fat person will begin to loose weight until they are also slender.

There is so much about food and nature to learn that the food industry does not have a clue. Thirty percent of adolescents now have pre diabetes, or full diabetes. They are not expected to live to collect social security. Our children now are not expected to live as long as their parents. Thats a first in the United States. America is one of the sicker nations now.

May 20, 2013 at 11:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

A Joyful Messenger

That is really sad prediction! Lord help us!

It is expensive to eat organic. I personally do not make enough money to buy organic food. Take for instance: Bananas are .59 cents a pound Organic bananas are $1.09 a pound. If I have $1.50 in my pocket I can buy at least 4 bananas but with organic I can only buy 2. Go figure.

I was reading about our food supply. The wheat our grandparents in used 1950 is a different strain from the wheat that is produced now a days. The protein strand is different. We are eating genetically altered food all the time. From wheat to corn to seedless grapes and seedless watermellon. Science has helped the farmers plant crops to feed the masses. People like you and  I have to buy our seed from a seed supplier every year. Something is wrong with this picture!

--

**JOYFUL MESSENGER

May 21, 2013 at 3:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruth Currah
Site Owner

If poisoned food is cheaper then organic food you will buy it? By buying the cheaper adulterated food you are encouraging and ensuring that poisoned food will continue. But if you all buy the organic it will soon be in demand and will then be cheaper as it will become abundant again

When you and your children eat poisoned food you not only pay for ill physical health but for ill mental health also. Your productivity goes down, you earn less. You are less able to help your children have a better life. When our children are going to die early was the the saved money worth it? Do we kill the next generation in order to save money?

By the way, if it has a tough skin, such as banannas, pesticide ususally are not a problem.

May 22, 2013 at 11:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

A Joyful Messenger

Sometimes I feel that I have no choice or little choice to buy cheaper food.  I can however make wiser choices in what I choose to counsume. What effect do you think sugar has on the brain? What does it do to the emotions? What does it do the the psyche? It seems kids seem to go bonkers when you feed them sugar. 

--

**JOYFUL MESSENGER

May 23, 2013 at 11:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruth Currah
Site Owner

That is one of those debated questions. Some say sugar does nothing and others claim they do indeed go bonkers when kids eat it. It probably depends on a lot of things, if they have had protein first or not, if so the blood sugar does not spike. It may depend on the kids make up, some being sensitive and others not. Sugar makes me warm and edgy, but if it is candy it may be the other chemicals the food industry puts in candy.

That does not sound right, the 'food industry.' Should it be an industry? Or should food be a more personal thing. It is if we grow a garden. But I think the term Junk Food for fast food is a good descriptive name. When they process food they add a lot of cheap fillers and then add flavors to cover up the taste of industrial chemicals. Maybe that is why it is called the 'food industry,' because of the industrial chemicals?

Our bodies run on sugar and we can not live without it. But best it be natural and not adulterated. And refined sugar spikes our blood sugar levels way more then raw sugar. Another reason kids may go bonkers with even natural sugar is that they are having fun eating treats. That is always a festive activity.

May 28, 2013 at 11:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

A Joyful Messenger

It is a food industry. I have worked in many a food factory. I have seen the good, the bad and the ugly. I have seen how they produce food for the massess. Sometimes I get the willy chills when I think about how our food is handled. If I had to go into the kitchen and produce all the food I eat, I would starve! My cookies would turn out to be burnt bisquits because I'd forget to put the sugar in the batter. It is easier to walk into a grocery store and pick up the prepackaged food and walk out and that is what we have been trained to do from birth. We are not trained to go out to the garden and plant, weed and harvest our own veggies...Aw the joy of technology!

--

**JOYFUL MESSENGER

May 29, 2013 at 1:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruth Currah
Site Owner

You can go into a grocery store and buy veggies and fruit and eat it without cooking. And there are some processed things that are not so dastardly. The main reason people reach for the junk food is that it is full of chemicals that are addictive. We get addicted to food that does not even taste good. A lot of pop leaves a bad taste in our mouths, but people drink it anyway. It is like smoking, it gags the beginner, but the addiction keeps them coming back. Their health goes down hill and still they go back until they can get over the addiction. The food industry is making money on addicting people to junk labeled as food. Addictions lower our empathy for others, clogs our minds to justify the addiction and makes it hard to stop the cycle. It is time we begin to eat better so we feel better and are better able to make change in the system, the food and addiction industry.

June 2, 2013 at 7:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

A Joyful Messenger

The sad thing is that some don't even know that they are addicted. When you bring their junk food addiction to the forfront and challenge them to lay off the sodaor chips for even a week, you will get blasted by their denial or anger.
One of my pet peeves is the federal government will give people and families food stamps and the people instead of buying food, they buy cartloads of soda, chips, and ice cream and cookies. "We the people" are paying for Americans to get and stay fat not fit.

--

**JOYFUL MESSENGER

June 3, 2013 at 10:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruth Currah
Site Owner

You can't over control people as if they live in a prison. We have to educate. Slow but more humane. If you can educate teachers, parents, and media people there is hope. We need activists that will do the work of education and making laws for unadulterated food only.  You could do that.

June 3, 2013 at 7:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.