Psychotoons

To help adults and children understand psychology.

Forums

Forum Home > A-Z Psychology > Procrastination.

A Joyful Messenger

One of the things I seem to struggle with is procrastination.  The cycle goes like this: Oh, that's a good idea! I'll do it tomorrow.

Tomorrow never seems to come. Everyday is today. Then I feel guilty or even depressed because I haven't done what I should have done. How do I change and stop putting things off? How do I change this badddd habit?

--

**JOYFUL MESSENGER

April 27, 2013 at 10:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruth Currah
Site Owner

It is very hard to do a whole project in a whim. It intimidates us and the anxiety drives us away. So one thing you can do is to break it down into small steps, easy and non anxious steps. So easy that the first step you can do that day, or that moment, like gather a few or even one tool. Now you have started the project and the brain finds it easier to do the next small step. When ever the project is taxing you stop and start when you are refreshed.

Sometimes it is not the project that puts us off but that our lives have gotten too busy or complex to fit in another project. Then you need to sit down and figure out how to simplify your life. If you have ten projects you may be overwhelmed to do them all. So divide them into an number of days and only do one or more a day. It is back to the rule above, small steps that are not intimidating.

April 29, 2013 at 11:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

A Joyful Messenger

kind of like  the movie" What about Bob"? I love it. Baby steps...baby.

--

**JOYFUL MESSENGER

May 1, 2013 at 1:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruth Currah
Site Owner

Yes, you got it, baby steps, fun and easy. Never let the anxiety build up as it will cause you to procrastinate the next time. Fun and easy!

May 2, 2013 at 8:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

A Joyful Messenger

You make it sound so easy...but it takes self discipline. I guess it comes down to priorities.Or to feel the fear and do it anyway.  Why is it so hard to be self discipined?

--

**JOYFUL MESSENGER

May 5, 2013 at 2:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruth Currah
Site Owner

If self discipline is hard it is because you have not broken it down into easy and fun baby steps. You must plan in such a way that you entertain and please yourself. Lets say you have to write a huge paper, lots of research and writing. First you sit and dream, dream, you know, have fun imagining the fun topic or subtopic. That was fun and easy and restful. Next you make an outline that would be a fun journey, remember you picked a fun topic that you really do want to know more about. Now for more fun. How do you gather this info and have fun. For some that is reading a lot, for others it is field trips, for others interviewing etc, etc. As you gather info you write it down in a way your whims and imagination are happy with. You are filling in your outline. The main step is the best of all, you are the director of your dramatic play and its star actor. Time to jam. Whoop it up and write seriously and ridiculously. It is a self directed concert of the absurd. The final step now is easier, trim it back so it is acceptable by your audience.

What is so hard for you and I will help you break it down to easy fun steps.

May 9, 2013 at 12:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

realsisters2@gmail.com

For me it is work, I get so bored. I do day care, babies. Don't get me wrong, babies are wonderful, I love being with them. But overall it is boring, feed, change dippers, get them to sleep. And the people I work with talk about uninteresting things. It is like being a young mother, you love your baby but they can not talk and no one else is around. So I put off feeding until they cry, change dippers when someone reminds me, and I sit and hold a sleeping baby when I should put them in their cribs. I stare out the window but it too is boring. What should I do.

--

May 12, 2013 at 10:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruth Currah
Site Owner

Ultimately we are the one most responsible for our well being and lack of boredom. It is a big job and so no one is willing to do it for us. It sounds like your problem is boredom. We must be entertaining ourselves. I once walked across the Olympic Mountains with my brother. I knew the hardest part would be to not be bored. The scenery is beautiful but, hay, nothing is that beautiful that it keeps us entertained for four straight days. And there is a limit to conversation. So I made an outline of a book I wanted to write and the topics that needed some serious thinking. Each day, or hour I would look at the next topic. I remember when I ran out of topics that boredom reared up its ugly face with vengeance. It was almost a panic. Luckily I soon noticed we were near the end of the hike.

May 14, 2013 at 9:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.