Psychotoons

To help adults and children understand psychology.

Forums

Forum Home > A-Z Psychology > Domestic Violence

A Joyful Messenger

Sometimes I wonder...Why is there so much anger and violence in the world? It seems like society is falling apart at the seams. People don't know how to live with one another in peace and so they act out instead.  Why do you think that there is so much and what can we as a society and people do to stop it?

--

**JOYFUL MESSENGER

April 17, 2013 at 12:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruth Currah
Site Owner

Garbage in, garbage out. People seem to think that they can expose themselves to violent media, say what they want to anyone they want, do anything they want at anytime, hang and play violent video games all day, and remain strong willed enough to be saints and expect sainthood from others doing the same thing. They do not seem to realize that total freedom without responsibility to others interferes with others total freedom with no responsibility to them and that they will fight back. Courtesy and serving others is called altruism and is displayed by all animal species that are able to survive.

Mass media, in order to attract others and get peoples attention adds to the display of conflict. Very few movies show people how to live, the moral of the story is gone. Wise men have been replaced by wise guys. Morality does not make money. It use to be said that 'crime does not pay,' it has been replaced by 'helping others does not pay.' A garbage collector gets more money then someone who helps others. I could go on forever. We are all guilty of it. The hard cold fact is that it takes many people to build a city and very few to blow it up. When people decide to work at being servants to each other and helping each other they will find that life becomes easier, more rewarding, more simple, and with much less violence. How is that for a soapbox lecture?

April 19, 2013 at 10:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

A Joyful Messenger

It is a dog eat dog world. There is a lot of growling and fighting in the pack. But in the animal world, the weakest gives in to the stronger and they live together in humility. In the human, the weakest has to fight to survive and  sometime is the fierest preditor. Maybe it would behoove us to be like a dog and practice submission and humility rather than trying to be top dog?

--

**JOYFUL MESSENGER

April 26, 2013 at 12:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruth Currah
Site Owner

I think it is an American thing for so many to try and be top dog. The land of opportunity gives the impression anyone can if they fight hard enough. Over all most Moslems seem to be much more humble then Christians. The Bible praises humility but American's often see it as weakness and fear the aggression of others who will take advantage of passivity. We have a very aggressive and violent culture compared to many other countries. But all cultures and all groups of people have those who are much more aggressive then most. The most humble people on earth are probably the pigmies of Africa. They show the most equality even between the sexes. As I say our kids watch way too much violence and way too little movies that display love and humility.

April 26, 2013 at 4:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

A Joyful Messenger

I think that t.v. and movies, and the video games desensitize  us to evil. How many murders do you think we see visually each year on tv? How many sex acts How many cold,  caculating acts of evil do we see and hear? What does it do to the brain or heart?

--

**JOYFUL MESSENGER

April 27, 2013 at 10:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruth Currah
Site Owner

I agree with you. We all see too many murders and calculating acts of evil and I also think kids act them out to a degree. Children's brains under the age of ll, so 10 and younger, do not distinguish reality from fantasy very well. Violent shows are very emotionally hard on them and can cause loss of self esteem and other upbeat characteristics. But more then that I think the LACK of redeeming shows is a bigger problem. Kids grow up without feelings of moral responsibility to others around them. It is all me, me, me, survival thoughts and freedom without considering the feelings of others. Clients that I have had that grew up in front of the TV more then interacting with parents or others tended to be very shallow. TV is a short hand of what many people think and is NOT real life in its complexity. So you could say the mind is shallow and the heart is also. NOTHING can replace reality and real life experiences. What do you think?

April 30, 2013 at 8:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

A Joyful Messenger

Wow...talk about shallow what about the people with their constant online addiction. I was sitting in the hot tub at the gym last night and this girl is sitting there with her phone. You have got to be kidding me. I can see going to star bucks and watching people twiddle thier thumbs having no interaction with real people but in the hot tub? Give me a break. If the internet is their reality...geez talk about shallow.

--

**JOYFUL MESSENGER

May 1, 2013 at 1:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruth Currah
Site Owner

Let the fingers do the talking, when in history have we been able to sit in a hot tub and talk to anyone around the world, or at the top of a ridge, or anywhere else. And they do not even know who we are or if we are lying about who we are. The internet is like a bomb of scams. I begin to wonder if honest is growing thin. But because of the internet people are wanting more real time reality. The brain prefers to use all the senses and not just sight. So now they are adding smells to the theater. They have a machine that can do that without the odors lingering too long as the next scene has different smells. And disney land theaters throw mist on us etc. etc. But they can not really duplicate another person interacting to us personally for who we are. So there are pros and cons with the new technology. You have to admit, it is an interesting time in history.

May 2, 2013 at 9:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.