Psychotoons

To help adults and children understand psychology.

Forums

Forum Home > A-Z Psychology > Kindness

A Joyful Messenger

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Aesop (620 BC - 560 BC), The Lion and the Mouse

A LION was awakened from sleep by a Mouse running over his face. Rising up angrily, he caught him and was about to kill him, when the Mouse piteously entreated, saying: "If you would only spare my life, I would be sure to repay your kindness." The Lion laughed and let him go. It happened shortly after this that the Lion was caught by some hunters, who bound him by st ropes to the ground. The Mouse, recognizing his roar, came gnawed the rope with his teeth, and set him free,exclaim:                                                                                                                                                                                                              "You ridiculed the idea of my ever being able to help you, expecting to receive from me any repayment of your favor; I now you know that it is possible for even a Mouse to con benefits on a Lion

--

**JOYFUL MESSENGER

April 9, 2012 at 11:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruth Currah
Site Owner

Aesop believed in Social Networking! Big or small we can all do great things. Some just have a bigger roar!

April 10, 2012 at 1:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

A Joyful Messenger

That's cute. It's like the lion king movie. The little lion sang he is working on his roar. We may not be big but we impact those around us. It is knowing how to do it. We need all need more knowledge.

How can we be more knowledgeable about people around us? People and their emotions so complex!

--

**JOYFUL MESSENGER

April 11, 2012 at 11:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruth Currah
Site Owner

My web site and blogs address how to be more knowledgeable about people. Basically you need to be observant and look for patterns in peoples behaviors. What we see and hear is the first stage of the brain, perception. As we do that we need to notice what works and what does not work well for them, for others, for society and we need to value what helps society be healthy and happy for people to live in it, raise healthy happy children, and reach our potentials. So the second stage of the brain is to avoid dangers and to love what works for the good of self and others. We need to evaluate the functionality of what we see.

The third stage is to process what we have observed and what we value and begin to build models in our mind as to what beliefs help us predict and perpetuate happy healthy lives. We have to have working models of what life, society, families, and other organizations are about and if they work well. This is where the great religions come in. They are the working models that have been passed on in history, so is science, medicine, and other bodies of knowledge that help us do our jobs. We need to study them, apply them, and observe when and where they work and where they do not, and improve on them as we pick and choose what we feel we need to do for the benefit of self, others, and society.

The final stage is we act on our perceptions, values, and beliefs about models of life and subsequent actions. As we do this we are doing the first three stages to test and improve on all four stages. In the process of doing this we notice there are not only categories of situations, such as work, family, entertainment, but that there are categories of human traits that are different in various people and these traits or the combinations of them make people more or less efficient in seeing, feeling, planning or believing, and in actions. We call these different combinations of traits in others personalities.

Understanding personalities help us better predict how others will go through the four stages we have mentioned and the results they will get. We are now beginning to understand others better and what may help any particular personality or person do a more efficient job of assessing self, others, society and situations as they work toward health and happiness. Let me know if I am helping you with your question. Like everyone else, I need feedback to communicate better.

April 12, 2012 at 6:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

A Joyful Messenger

Wow. that's a lot of stages! Knowledge and understanding is power!

--

**JOYFUL MESSENGER

April 13, 2012 at 9:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruth Currah
Site Owner

That is only four stages, we see, we feel, we think, we act. Babies and little children have a well developed first stage, they look, listen, touch, smell, and taste everything. By the time they are teenagers they are developing the emotional stages more, the drama kings and queens, by young adulthood people are planning more as they go out on their own. Then as adults we act more, we have more skills. What abot your plans for college? What about your plans for knowledge and understanding?

April 13, 2012 at 11:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

A Joyful Messenger

Sometimes I think that adults are more like babies, still stuck in the second stage. They are emotional rather than intellectiuals. They react rather than think things through. It is learning how to not be so reactive and changing our old habits and patterns.  

Just when I think that I have changed an old habit, It pops its old ugly head and there it is. Deal with me it shouts...How??? I shout back...

I am in the waiting stage for the FASA. I hate waiting!

--

**JOYFUL MESSENGER

April 17, 2012 at 12:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

A Joyful Messenger

I like this saying: "Knowledge is like money: the more he gets, the more he craves".~Josh Billings

What is your opinion of the "Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil?" in the book of Genesis?

--

**JOYFUL MESSENGER

April 18, 2012 at 10:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruth Currah
Site Owner

True, some adults act like emotional teenagers, then some are too intellectual and have no empathy. It is best to balance all the widgets, all the four stages of the brain, to observe and listen, have empathy and fear if need be, think things through and act on things, not be lazy. So if we do all four stages, as nature intended, we make better decisions. 

To partake from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil you have to try evil things and in so doing you are cast out of innocence and condemned to take care of the consequences of having been evil. They knew what was evil, and it did not hurt them until they actually did the forbidden. "Knowledge is like money: the more he gets, the more he craves" but unless the knowledge is turned to evil acts it is harmless, and if it is used for good acts, for worshiping God and God is what works for the good of all, then knowledge is a life saver.

April 18, 2012 at 12:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

realsisters2@gmail.com

I think Genesis is about following God's plan, turning our hearts to higher things then this world and giving our best. Disobeying God is evil, the wages of sin is death. But how do we know what God's plan is. We can be mentally healthy but that does not mean we are spiritually healthy. It seems there is more to life then body and mind. There is a soul. How would psychology explain Soul?

--

April 8, 2013 at 11:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruth Currah
Site Owner

You ask how psychology would explain Soul. That is the question of the ages, of the philosophical world, a question with no answer. To some it is magical or mystical, to others it is the secret of the universe, some scientists think that the universe is like a huge computer, all atoms and sub atomic material act like a computer and our minds are connected to it by the fact that we are also part of the universe, others scientists feel the soul is our minds working beyond our conscious awareness and that our DNA is even part of our thinking or our inner computer. We are not very aware of what all our brains do. We can not know what all it does unless we have a brain bigger then ours to do such an analysis, to see beyond our own limitations to make such a judgement. Perhaps soul is the whole, the whole is greater then the parts and our consciousness is only a part, not the whole. Some psychologists say soul is our superego, some sociologists say it is the superego of the community. But most psychologists and counselors are like the rest of the world. Soul represents our free choice, our sense of whats right and wrong, that which transcends what body and brain can not explain, consciousness, emotions of something greater then us that we are tapped into, something that may have existed before our bodies and may live beyond. Definitions go on forever. Science may be incapable to ever explain Soul because it is not quantifiable and if it is then it is not Soul but only a mechanical effect of physics, the physics of organic chemistry.  

April 10, 2013 at 7:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

realsisters2@gmail.com

Really, dr ruth, how is all that verbiage going to help me? Is soul such an illusive concept? It seems so simple in the bible, the immortal moral part of a person. Surely psychology has a simple answer. Or is the soul that which psychology, or science as you say, can not explain but exists non the less? Hopefully you are not saying a soul is a made up term and does not exist. Or are you?

--

April 15, 2013 at 12:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruth Currah
Site Owner

The term Soul is like the term God, we all believe but we can not quantify or measure. The only way science can study them is to see the functionality they have with people. And if religion is ignored because science can not measure it then we might as well throw away art, music, literature, creativity, and another illusive term Spirituality. Man does not live by science alone.

April 15, 2013 at 9:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

A Joyful Messenger

In Genesis 2:7 God breathed into man the breath of life and man became a living soul. The hebrew meaning of the word soul means breath, vitality,  the mind.  The body with it's appetites and lusts; pleasures and morality.

One of the commandments in the New Testament is to Be Kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving of each other.  We are to be useful and helpful, compassionate and pardoning.

--

**JOYFUL MESSENGER

April 23, 2013 at 1:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruth Currah
Site Owner

I agree. From breath, vitality, and the mind people look upon the soul as everlasting, consciousness, and awareness. As you say soul can also mean being compassionate. Interesting.

April 23, 2013 at 9:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

realsisters2@gmail.com

Don't you get depressed reducing everything to just simple things like the brain made it up? Where is the awe, the wonder, the mystical? Children live in a wonderful world of imagination and magic. Santa Clause is real and on our side. All you seem to look forward to is dust in the wind. Where is the spark?

--

April 25, 2013 at 9:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

A Joyful Messenger

Try using your imagination! Figure out what you can do for others by being kind to them...Go out of your way to make things fun. It is up to you to enjoy life...otherwise life is dull.

--

**JOYFUL MESSENGER

April 26, 2013 at 12:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruth Currah
Site Owner

I will go along with Joyful Messenger, the spark is making others feel the spark, helping them have better more productive lives. And to do that someone has to reduce things to simple understanding so others have the tools to create their magic and enjoy the spark. But, yes, it can be depressing at times to reduce things to simple, but then one can make it complex again and take up the challenge of reducing the new complexity into simple steps once more. You could call it a cycle. It is the same as the cycle of having goals and enjoying working on them, reaching them, having moments of boredom, making new challenging goals and the cycle continues. The perks are that with each cycle you have gained new heights that open up new bigger challenges. I guess the perks are a spark also.

April 26, 2013 at 11:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

A Joyful Messenger

I like the phrase:" Practice random acts of kindness,"

When we give to others, when we are kind,  we will receive more than what we gave. It seems like and unwritten law of the universe.

--

**JOYFUL MESSENGER

May 5, 2013 at 2:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruth Currah
Site Owner

The one thing I do not like about the phrase, 'Practice random acts of kindness,' is the word random, it sounds like hit and miss. How about, 'Practice acts of kindness to everyone'?

May 9, 2013 at 11:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.