Psychotoons

To help adults and children understand psychology.

Forums

Forum Home > Personal (growth) Journey > A PERSONAL JOURNEY, what, when, where, how, why

Ruth Currah
Site Owner

The model of the journey is a journey through life and its parallel in the brain and how to improve the brain’s tools to be able to improve one’s life.

The brain has a feedback loop that runs over and over in our minds and changes as we experience more of the outside world and of the inner world we live in. The first stage is our perceptions, our senses. The next stage is our emotional reaction to the perceptions. We fear or get curious to what we perceive. We want to run away or approach. You can easily see these reactions in babies or animals. They approach a new object slowly and either jump back or smell some more.

The next stage is to explore the object more, maybe play with it as a cat does a mouse or a baby with toys, and decide what to do next. In humans this can be a methodical or habitual, religious, philosophical, or scientific analysis of the object or situation and our ability to handle it. The final stage is to do something, to use our tools and resources or to gain more skills and habits to deal with it. The older we or the animals get usually the better equipped they are to deal with it.

With each turn of the feedback loop we change, for the better or worse, each stage. We may begin to look for certain pleasant things, habitually change our reactions, change our thinking about it, and improve our actions. This process improves or deteriorates our freewill.

I use animals to depict each stage of this Upper Nature process. Ant and Bee, Macho scary can and the loving dog Cuddles, wise blue bird Geru, and Patient Turtle works with Energetic Rabbit for balanced energy. When there is eminent danger our brain falls into our primitive survival mode, I call it our Lower Nature. The four steps change in function. The first step is deceptive Spiedie, the second selfish Raccoon, the third is blaming Crow, and the fourth aggressive Coyote. They help us to lie, cheat, blame, and fight for survival.

If we take an average functioning person and say all their widgets, or above characters, are all the same size, but the Upper Nature ones are a bit bigger without danger, then we can say they are balanced. One really big one is not interfering with the function of the others. But in the real world all widgets are of varying sizes depending on Genetic, experiences, habits and skills. So the widgets are unbalanced. One person may see a lot, feel little, think negatively, and are aggressive. So they need to be rebalanced.

Lets add to the above Characters two more. Mr/Ms Do will be our consciousness and is the shape we take inside the brain. Our body proportions are dependent on the use of them. This makes our mouths, hands, and feet really big but our limbs small. Mr/Ms Do coordinates the Upper Nature widgets and so is usually bigger then them in a well balanced person. Dragon runs the Lower Nature and should be a bit smaller then Mr/Ms Do. We can call him an alter ego.

Our generic bodies I have pictured as a blue mannequin named Myself. All the character dwell in the head but walk around for cartoon purposes to help explain the journey. The journey is the struggles Myself has with balancing his widgets while going through life with other’s widgets. Other’s widgets can be individuals, or groups (group widgets), or states, even nations, such as politicians and their parties.

To best see what I am talking about you could check out some of my web sites. I am currently trying to create cartoons to illustrate The Journey for adults, I have done so for kids but that one is not available for viewing yet. The adult version is but is in progress. You can follow along if you wish at psychotoons.org  Subcribe and you will get notice of new cartoons, topics, and web events.

September 22, 2015 at 7:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.